Sunday, 16 January 2011

Song of The Open Road *

Good Morning Dear Friends

And welcome to yet another gray and rainy day  - and to top it off, it's Sunday!  As Thomas De Quincy  memorably once said “It was a Sunday afternoon, wet and cheerless; and a duller spectacle this earth of ours has not to show than a rainy Sunday in London " he had obviously never been to Wigan but we must let that pass and try to squeeze out the sweetness from every situation . . .

I had a lovely late afternoon and evening with my Royalty from the Vale; I demonstrated a card trick I had been taught by the infinitesimally lovely Ms Shoop on Thursday and it was wonderful to behold a Mathematician's brain in full flow trying to compute combinations and probabilities . . . actually, to be honest, it isn't so much a trick as a conundrum and whilst I do have a vague inkling of how it works, I would be lying to say so with assurance . . . I have included a depiction of it below then you can try it for yourselves. 

According to my own dear Babbage babe, it should be possible to do it with an entire pack which would be quite spectacular . . . though my tired wetware can't compute whether you would lay them out in 4 rows or more . . . ho-hum!

Having been a bright and breezy soul first thing today I intend to dedicate the rest of it to the pursuit of indolence and luxury; a cup of tea, some nibbles and a film or a book or two . . . my pleasures, like my intellect, are simple!  I am away to the shops to stock up on said nibbles shortly - or at least when I've finished this piffle and made myself beautiful - and really that will be that; a quiet day in solitude, to sit and watch it go dark which, given today's ambient light levels, won't take very long at all.

I was charmed by a Kenneth Graeme quote I stumbled upon t'other day and which reminded me somewhat of my philosophy, especially here in these venerable and hallowed pages:
"Come along inside... We'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place"
It really reminded me of here which - if all goes according to plan tomorrow  - may well be somewhere else pretty soon!  The thought of moving and starting afresh really does appeal to me . . . historically I had lived a very fluid lifestyle and not only in terms of alcohol!  I had lived in lots of places both here and abroad and so to spend the last eight years here has been somewhat strange and difficult to get used to;  having said that I suppose as one gets more doddery and set in ones ways the Open Road loses at least some of its charm

And that, in its turn, has reminded me of a lovely, old, small green book I chanced upon many years ago in a second-hand bookshop - surely one of the most beloved places on Earth! - it is a volume of poetry compiled  by E V Lucas and is entitled "The Open Road" originally belonging to someone with the initials  MKC, it had been purchased on April 30th 1903 in Weybridge.

The book is a celebration of the romantic ideal of the country way of living and is a memento of a forgotten world and a way of life long disappeared; it opens with an "Explanation " by EV Lucas that begins: " This little book aims at nothing but providing companionship on the road for city-dwellers who make holiday " It has beautiful end papers from  designs by William Hyde and just holding it seems to transport me back to that Edwardian era of optimism and light before the world changed forever in 1914 . . .  it also contains a few bits of Kenneth Graeme which is why it probably sprang to mind in the first place!

However, I seem to be babbling and blathering and preventing you from being about your business and me about mine, so I shall beautify and be off Allons!  the open road or at least as far to the shops . . . I shall end with a wee bit of Thomas Randolph (1605-1635) again taken from The Open Road:

Come, spur away
I have no patience for a longer stay
But must go down,
And leave the chargeable noise of this great town.
I will the country see . . .

Have a wonderful day!

'til next time

Be Seeing You !






* originally a poem by Walt Whitman

3 comments:

  1. pound to a penny there will be tiles :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good card trick , i couldnt work it out but no surprise there lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Fantastic Blog, it’s so helpful to me, and your blog is very good,
    I’ve learned a lot from your blog here, Keep on going, my friend, I will keep an eye on it,
    Piano Teacher belmont ca

    ReplyDelete