Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Days of Stygian Gloom . . .

Good Morning Dear Friends . . .

It's a wet and windy Wednesday -  here at least  - and yours truly is finally seated back in the library following a prolonged break  - Goodness me!  I see I haven't spoken to you since Saturday!  Do try and find a smidgen of forgiveness in your hearts for me as I appear to have somehow been bitten by a  rogue and climatically resilient tsetse fly with the result that sleeping sickness has set in!  Another, more probable theory is that I'm being laid low by some medication my dear Dr L has prescribed to help me get rid of the terminal sniffles - whichever, the result is somewhat similar and equally debilitating!

Yesterday, for example, I was over in Bury for a long days journey into Mindfulness . . .  I somehow managed to scrape through without becoming comatose but upon my arrival back at the BPS, collapsed in my chamber and literally could not move all evening!  I also have all-over-body aches which leave me less than bouncing with vigour and, to cap it all off,  a persistent headache . . . I'm so glad the medication is doing me good! Although, to be fair, I suppose it could be coincidental and I've just succumbed to another nasty bug!

Today I am off to the seat of learning for the first time this year and am looking forward to seeing all the old familiar faces  . . . we are now on the home straight, as it were, course-wise with only a few months to go before we (hopefully) qualify . . . it will be very strange not to have these people in my life on Wednesday evening although with such facilities as Facebook and Twitter keeping in touch is hardly a problem . . .  I find I have become a bit of a Twitter snob! Perhaps I prefer it because I'm not bombarded with pointless games and advertising constantly - or maybe it's because it's like the difference between junior scrabble and the proper version? Twitter seems somehow more "grown up" although that is not normally a phrase I would use to describe myself as I'm sure you would agree!  In any case those of us that wish to remain in contact will be able to with ease . . . how the world has changed in just a few short years . . .

I remember in the past waiting for weeks to hear from friends in other lands whereas now communication is instant and free!  Although there was a certain excitement about opening a letter or a package with its exotic stamps and smells . . . I recall with fondness the packages I used to receive from Germany - the first sense to be assailed was that of smell as the waft of rich dark coffee burst into the room . . . mmm!  Even though, these days, I don't drink coffee anymore, the smell still evokes a Proustian madeleine response . . . I also miss writing letters; any I do write these days I tend to word-process  - itself a somewhat already archaic term!  - rather than write by hand whereas I used to spend ages writing and decorating letters and cards for people . . . it almost reminds one of the difference in the writing styles of Victorian authors and those of today;  people seemed to have more time to read in those far flung days and so the writing style expanded to fill the space . . . lack of time is one of our ages most prolific afflictions; I am as much a sufferer as anyone although I do make a conscious effort to put more time into my writing and into life in general.  It is laughable to see those "What the future holds" articles of the early 60's when a life of leisure was the prediction, with the menial tasks carried out by robots . . . ha! almost as true as the paperless office!

I can feel the urge coming on to make tea and toast and to prepare myself for the coming hours; looking out of the library window it is another half-light day with trees standing shrouded in the drizzle and here, at my desk, I write in a pool of light whilst in the shadows Sal snoozes and waits for time to begin properly.  For her, this always involves the first walk of the day although she is notoriously allergic to rain and being wet and so, in these meteorological conditions, the day can take some while to start.  She regards me with a suspicious eye and a sort of " You can't possibly be thinking of sending a dog out on a day like this, can you?" expression . . . I have to say that she has just pointed out that the last statement was something of an anthropomorphism which I have duly noted and which, I hope, dear readers didn't detract from your enjoyment of today's humble fare . . . what a curse is a literate dog!

I shall away to the kitchen and leave you to your day;  I hope, as always, that it is full of love and light and that a smile - even if the result of wind - is never far away!


'til next time


Be Seeing you !








No comments:

Post a Comment