Tuesday, 28 December 2010

From Holmenkollen to the Magic Mountain . . .

Good Morning Fellow Ombrophobiacs - how are you today?

I have to say that, although the salutation above is obviously not to be taken seriously, I do find the re-appearance of our old friend Precipitous somewhat down-heartening; it may wash away the snow but the when, like today, the window presents nothing more than a gray even sheet of cloud and little light and the view across the haha is veiled in drizzle, I can see the attractions that the snowy peaks and troughs have to offer . . .

Today I should really put my nose to the grindstone and start the interminable catch-up process in order to have my OU work somewhere near target at least;  I have another assignment to send in very shortly and am nowhere near prepared for it . . . I do seem to have lost the impetus somewhat and I'm not sure how simple getting it back is going to be . . . however, I shall have to at least attempt a recovery as it would indeed be a very expensive towel to throw in!

As for the rest of the week I shall be journeying southwards once again, trains permitting, to sample the bucolic delights of rural Cheshire tomorrow; Thursday I have a meeting up planned with Sister Cate over tea and muffins and then we are up to the dreaded New Years Eve when, with any luck, I shall be safely ensconced in my sequestered pied a terre, away from revellers and party animals, well-wishers and celebrants, and losing myself in the delights of a good book . . .

I have recently finished another by Jo Nesbø who is fast becoming one of my favourite authors in the crime genre; due to the publicity that has accompanied The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, Jo is being hailed as the new Steig Larsson  - he is, in my opinion, a much better writer than the excellent but sadly late Larsson and should be respected in his own right.  The fact that he bases his stories in Oslo where I lived for a while doesn't curb my enthusiasm either!  I am also working my way through the Alexander McCall Smith Number One Ladies Detective Agency series and enjoying them thoroughly; so I skip from Oslo to Botswana with the ease of angels which, surely, is one of the greatest pleasures in reading, don't you think?

And with that thought in mind I am reminded that I also have a lovely book token burning a hole in my wallet; I can almost see the staff at the local Waterstones shivering in anticipation at another of my visits, they are a lovely bunch of folk and very helpful - especially at parting me from the company of my spondulicks  . . . I have an urge to buy Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain and to re-buy The Onion Eaters by JP Donleavy . . . I do love books so!  I think a visit may be in order at some point today, if I get the requisite amount of work done and if I can face the rain . . . I am reminded of a quote by Thomas Mann; he said
" In books we never find anything but ourselves. Strangely enough, that always gives us great pleasure, and we say the author is a genius."

How very true!  And on that note I shall go and beautify myself so as not to present too horrific a sight to the poor people of this town . . .  I hope you are all enjoying the break and are filling your time with fun and frolicsome pastimes that will see you safely through to next year!


'til next time


Be Seeing You !



No comments:

Post a Comment