Thursday, 11 November 2010

In the Pink . . .

Good afternoon dear friends . . .

And a very Brr! one it is too; the wind is rattling the windows of the BPS, sneaking under doorways where it really shouldn't go and generally gamouching the banana plants in the Tropical House . . . and, at just after four, the day, which has been not unlike a bedside visitor, reluctant to take its coat off, is set to flee in the face of the encroaching night, leaving us all to the mercies of the storm . . .

Today has been a difficult one to get a grip on for although I was up at my usual larkling hour I did nod off for an unspecified number of winks which has sort of jumbled up my jobs and made my To Do more To Do Tomorrow . . . incidentally, that incredibly accurate fount of all knowledge Wikipedia gives a definition of wink as " a facial expression in which one eye is briefly closed for up to hours at a time"  Bizarre, don't you think?

So anyway, I decided to pop into town and shop for a few necessaries, leaving the unnecessaries sadly behind on the shelves, and had the most delicious mince pie in Nero  - hot and sticky ( I declined cream) and wonderful with green tea . . . it could very soon become a problem!  Anyhow, whilst shopping in a store which I detest but is the only one to stock the tisane I drink most often I came upon a most intriguing drink; beetroot juice! It is evidently  very good for one, especially vegetarians because, I suppose, we are the only ones mad enough to pay for it but the reason I parted with my pennies was the warning on the label which promised " This will turn your urine pink; this is natural"  The relief is pink and palpable!  As of yet I haven't noticed a difference but as soon as I do you shall be the first to know . . . I shall feel like those water fireworks which one can commission for garden parties etc in fact, I may go out in competition with them; if you're considering a novel form of entertainment for your dinner parties, just email me  and I'll see what I can do!

It's definitely the sort of day to sit and read (or write) a book by the fire;  I popped into the library (which, by the way, I believe should be treasured and protected for all - economic crisis indeed!) and grabbed a couple of reads to supplement the pile already growing at my bedside - sorry Mr Waterstone, the reviews will be with you soon I promise! - amongst which was Dylan Thomas' "A Child's Christmas in Wales"*.  Although to describe it as a slim volume is being overly generous, it is 40 pages of beautiful writing;  I must confess I never realised how much of a debt I owe to old DT . . . in his writing I can see the sort of word play and fashionings I use all the time.  His opening lines for example:

"One Christmas was so much like another, in those years around the sea-town corner now and out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment  before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six.  All the Christmases roll down towards the two-tongued sea, like a cold and headlong moon bundling down the sky that was our street; and they stop at the rim of the ice-edged, fish-freezing waves, and I plunge in my hand and bring out whatever I can find.  In goes my hand into that wool-white bell-tongued ball of holidays resting at the rim of the carol-singing sea..."
It is a wonderful evocative book, beautifully written and gorgeously illustrated by Edward Ardizzone

Just the sort of thing to get one into the spirit of the season that is fast approaching . . . that and the wonderful Domino squares sold by Lidl;  little lebkuchen topped with apple jelly and covered in dark chocolate . . .mmm!   I'm feeling almost festive already!

In fact I may put on my muffler, mount my sleigh and go and avail myself of Lidl's finest  very soon . . .  I hope you have a pleasant evening and that the paucity of my outpourings over the past few days hasn't put you off continuing to read me, as it were . . .  I shall keep you fully aware and cognisant of my other outpourings for which, I'm sure, you will thank me tremendously

'til next time


Be Seeing You !

 

 

* Dylan Thomas A Child's Christmas in Wales; Illustrations Edward Ardizzone  ISBN  - 13 - 978 - 0 - 14037 - 723 - 1


4 comments:

  1. btw has the font gone smaller? These old eyes are struggling lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dante: the font had changed but has now been changed back to Verdana - sorry for the ocular stress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds a lovely read , enjoyed reading the blog. Not to sure about the pink wee hahahaha

    ReplyDelete