Sunday, 21 November 2010

Day of Rest

Good morning everyone; how lovely to see you here yet again, I feel very privileged to welcome you into the BPS's wee little library . . . sit down and make yourself at home . . .

I was thinking earlier today about the notion of a day of rest and how, in these increasingly secular and less work-ethic orientated times, the phrase has become just that - merely a phrase . . . in those dark days of drudgery where poor people worked ( if they were lucky!) 12 or more hours a day, 6 days a week, the concept was a very real and necessary one but now? Well, I just don't know.  I read a posting from a friend of mine who was complaining that, although it was the 'day of rest', she was up at 6 am, ironing, cleaning, cooking and so forth and, whilst sympathising, I thought about all the generations who have done that every single day of their late childhood and adult lives . . . I believe the average working day for a housewife of the 'lower classes' in the 1920's was somewhere between 18-20 hours; couple that with practically constant pregnancy and appallingly poor diet, living conditions and associated stress and illness and you begin to understand why the life expectancy of such a poor soul was around 40 years . . .

I rarely have a day of rest.  Then again,  I don't really need one.   I manage my days and my time in my own sweet way and not in a 9-5 model; this is something I've always felt the need to do and on the rare occasions when I have been forced into a 'standard' pattern of work, found that both the quality of my life and the work suffered accordingly. Of course such a way of life does have its drawbacks; in some ways one tends to work longer hours  than most but then again I enjoy the hours and rarely consider them onerous . . . a lot of people who I know who do work this way report similar findings.  Maybe when we take the 'work' element out of the process, it removes the burden?  It also can be less than stable financially but then again, as the OD is heard to say on occasions "There are no pockets in shrouds" !

And that , for me, is really the gist of it; we should enjoy what we do and do what we enjoy . . . simplistic and fanciful? Well, yes . . . but I think we all should try to include it in our lives to some degree or other or we end up as wealthy slaves and so poor in spirit.

Having said all of that, I have to admit that there are times when, for example, I'm drooling over a iMac Air and wishing to own one with every fibre of my being, that I wish I did have the money simply to say "Ok I'll have one of those..." but would I have the time and the spirit to use it? Probably not.  I know myself fairly well by now - and am becoming better acquainted day by day - and know the anguish I suffer when something prevents me from being 'free'  - in my opinion, for me, it simply isn't worth it.

So how will you spend your day of rest? I intend to pop along to a lovely store of Swedish origination and look at beautifully simple things  - the products, not the customers! - and maybe purchase a wee small table that is, I'm sure, practically selling itself for £8.99! Then I have more and more OU work to come to terms with - see? It's not all pleasure! - and, of course, she who must be pandered to will require another walk or two before the sun sets prematurely . . .

Although the sky is blue and beautiful I am reminded of a pithy quote from Susan Ertz who remarked that:
"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon."

Very true.  I hope that you are spared such a task by continued good weather and that you enjoy the rest of your day of rest.

'til next time
Be Seeing You !





No comments:

Post a Comment