Tuesday, 19 October 2010

"We called him Tortoise . . . because he taught us!" *

Good Morning Dear People and Welcome to Tuesday . . .

And so what delicious treats does the day hold in store? Well, I'm currently waiting for the arrival of the plumbinious engineers who are due to coax my ailing boiler back to life once more; I really should have registered it with Dignitas and allowed the poor thing to slip quietly away to that great Baxi storeroom in the sky . . . but no, they will insist on resuscitating the wheezing old thing - sparing no expense naturally! Even though we are due for a major refit and replacement boilers any time soon . . . I did, of course, try arguing this point but . . . well, what's a wasted day and pointless expense between a council leaking money faster than Peter can pop his finger in the dyke and a company with a lucrative contract to repair whenever possible . . . hmmm!

Anyhow, that will be the morning taken care of no doubt - I'm on one of those " there between 8.00 am and 1 pm" type of things -  but I shall use the time wisely by reading more OU and, of course, scattering a few seeds of thought . . . for example, if you are as ancient and venerable as I,you may recall a hymn sung at primary school along the lines of " We plough the fields and scatter the good seed on the land"  yes? Well, the people who did the job were known as the ploughman and the broadcaster, interesting isn't it?  And quite a nice image of our consciousness being turned over and new seeds planted but not one by one, as it were, but cast evenly over a wide area . . . and how that translates into the digital age in which we now live . . . one does wonder about the quality of some of the seed stock though!

I adore the way that associations spring to my mind - and by that I'm not referring to The Association of Master Upholsterers or The Association of Taxation Technicians  - but, since mentioning above the hymn from my primary years, the words and images of others have popped into my brain: "Hills of the North, Rejoice!" and one of my absolute favourites - so much so, in fact, that I used it as part of a piece of music I wrote a good 20 years ago - "All Things which Live Below the Sky" . . . I remember being struck by a line in it which went something like "He sees the meekest sparrow fall unnoticed in the street"; I think it appealed to my love of nature and wildlife . . . I was, after all, Nature Table Monitor at the time, a level of responsibility which I don't think I have equaled since!  Ah, those long gone days with Hilda Docker in the endless summers and crisp winters of my childhood . . . excuse me I seem to have gone all Proustian on you, I'll get a cloth . . .

Hilda was possibly the teacher who influenced me most overall in life; I'm sure she would have disapproved of the circuitous route I have taken through it so far as she was very firmly of the opinion that I was Oxbridge or something similar and that's what I had to do . . . given that I came from a poor family with no experience of higher education, on a poor estate in a northern town that wasn't noted for it's encouragement of the great unwashed masses to better things, Hilda was a bit of a revelation. . . I believe she was a very strong supporter of the Labour Party and a devout believer in the common man and his betterment in life . . . she was a lovely, scary and possibly partially barking woman, hated by some but adored  - and fondly remembered - by yours truly.  She already seemed quite an old lady by the time I knew her - she had taught both my older sisters over a decade before - and I know she carried on for a number of years afterward . . . I wonder if anyone has a photograph of her? I, sadly, do not . . .

Even though my kitchen is in disarray in order to allow the delicate boiler op to take place I think I may have to resort to a cup of tea and a nibble to keep me going as my stomach is making stranger gurgling noises than the equipment up for repair . . . I hope you've enjoyed this little meander though my past; I may post another piece from the archives later on which is autobiographical and deals with a similar time but for now I will say toodle-pip and hope that good fortune drenches you like a burst water main

'til next time


Be Seeing You !




* A description of the Mock Turtle's old teacher


1 comment:

  1. I had a teacher like that, Miss Roscoe. I loved her teaching, everything was so interesting!

    ReplyDelete