Sunday, 12 September 2010

It's a Small World . . . But I Wouldn't Want to Have to Paint It ! *

Welcome to the Wigwam where, at just after four, at the risk of sounding a little like Rupert  at ten to three, thoughts are turning to cakes and tea but certainly no honey, not for me . . .

It has been a long day with an early start; vaguely productive in terms of work begun, expanded, thrown away, begun again and finally left in a state of readiness for when my poor old head and eyes feel less fragile and more able to cope with the complexities demanded of them . . . I feel, as my dear old uncle D used to say, like the Wreck of the Hesperus, only not quite as sea-worthy or Bristol fashion !

Some minutes later and a freshly brewed cup of greenness is imbuing me with some semblance of life . . . still no cake but a couple of good old fashioned digestives should do the trick and then yours truly should be in a fit enough state to continue with the appointed task: to help you forget for a moment, as Mr Lehrer would say, your drab, wretched lives . . . ah! no-one quite wore a bow tie like he did!

And so what has been happening? Work, work and, well to be honest, some Grand Prix too . . . I'm sure that if you are an Italian and consumed with a passion for Ferrari it has been a very grand prix indeed, for some of us however, it was a less than satisfying spectacle - although at 1 hour and 16 minutes or so it was, at least, mercifully brief. . . and looking ahead in the week? Well, more work,naturally, . . . and then on Wednesday a return to my "ivy-covered professors in ivy-covered halls" (Thanks again Mr L) and a re-meet after the Summer break with my fellow travellers, following the map of the human heart on the road to enlightenment!  Also during the week is another meet with the old Duchess and lots more work culminating in a long series of sessions on Friday with my clients in Bury . . .

The weekend following may present a slightly different panoramic view to behold as I get to exercise my little used driving skills and swish the good Dr T down the the Fair Acres of Wales to visit her mum who is having a minor operation tomorrow (Good Luck P!) and who, by Sunday, I hope will be fit enough to cope with an invasion for an hour or two.  I will get a chance to practice my Welsh - well, the one bizarre sentence I have mastered which goes something like "Bore da a chroeso i Ystad Ddiwydiannol Wrecsam"  I feel there should be a small prize for any non-Welsh speakers who can have a stab at translating that - without using Google translator of course, Joanne!

I began this blog on September 1st and it's already the 12th! It is amazing how quickly the tempus fugit especially as one enters the latter stages of riding this particular Big One . . . and I have to say it feels like the Summer whizzed by particularly quickly . . . hence my sudden pre-occupation with finished work I had "loads of time to do" seemingly days ago, ah Lord, what fools these mortals be . . . but then without fools there would be no wisdom!


And on that philosophical blockbuster I think it's time to say

'til next time

Be Seeing You!



* The title is by Steven Wright, a marvellous American comedian who was also responsible for "I was at this restaurant. The sign said "Breakfast Anytime." So I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance."  Wonderful!





No comments:

Post a Comment